FIGES, in the aim to bring to Turkey a Molten Salt Reactor with thorium fuel cycle, one of 4th Generation nuclear reactors and to maintain its leading organization in this regard organizes various scientific and technical meetings and participates in such meetings.
Our goal is to raise awareness about the MSRs in governmental and in scientific and academic circles in Turkey, as well as in country’s industrial companies and to show the determination of Turkey to similar institutions abroad.
1. In 2016 and 2017 a “Road Map” study has been submitted to TUBITAK-MAM officials and various projects to work together with them are proposed at different times to involve in thorium utilization and MSR project in Turkey.
2. In July 2017, the SAMOFAR Summer Meeting is attended together by TUBITAK officials and our progress work on heat exchanger design is presented (see SAMOFAR project).
3. A delegation composed of TUBITAK and FIGES officials visited the CNRS-Grenoble Laboratories and collaboration opportunities between the National Scientific Research Center of France (CNRS) and TUBITAK (Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey), as well as the contribution of FIGES, are discussed on 18-19 October 2017.
4. As a result of the studies carried out with TUBITAK, it is decided to organize MSR Technology Determination Workshop at the Marmara Research Center on 3-4 December 2017 in order to make sure that Turkish nuclear experts have an idea about MSR types and to determine their opinions.
a. A group of foreign experts (France CNRS-Grenoble) gave a full day of seminar, to treat the topics such as the use of MSRs and thorium utilization to the delegation comprising nuclear experts from Turkish universities, TUBITAK and the senior engineers from TAEK.
b. Second day only Turkish specialists discussed to determine the type of MSR (http://mam.tubitak.gov.tr/en/duyuru/molten-salt-reactor-technology-determination-workshop)
5. FIGES participated to The 5th International Nuclear Power Plants Summit (INPPS 6-7 March 2018) as an exhibitor. Many local and foreign authorities are informed about the FIGES Nuclear Technology activities which received great attention; a basis of some bilateral cooperation is laid.
6. FIGES Nuclear Technology Department director Reşat Uzmen and a professor from Osmangazi University Faculty of Engineering, also FIGES consultant, Dr. L. Berrin Erbay, participated and submitted together a paper entitled “Thorium – Molten Salt Reactor (Th-MSR): Recent Developments in the World and Turkey” to the 4th Anadolu Energy Symposium, organized by Trakya University on 18-20 April 2018 in Edirne.
7. Director of Nuclear Technology Department Dr. Reşat Uzmen is invited by the Institute of Nuclear Sciences of Ege University to gave a seminar on ” Molten Salt Reactors with Thorium Fuel Cycle” on May 9, 2018.
8. In the context of the TUBITAK project carried out by Ege University – Institute of Nuclear Sciences, a workshop is organized on 10-11 May 2018 in Kuşadası, Turkey. Dr. Reşat Uzmen submitted a presentation entitled “Thorium and Rare Earth Elements resources and Separation Studies in Turkey”.
9. A comprehensive meeting is held on 30 May 2018 in Munich, Garching, at the Center of the German Federal Reactor Safety Agency (GRS), to seek further co-operation with them (see NUCLEAR SAFETY).
10. At the end of the SAMOFAR Summer meeting held at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) on 3-5 July 2018, European Union-Euratom Joint Research Center (JRC-Karlsruhe) laboratories on the KIT campus, which conducted scientific research on molten thorium, plutonium, and uranium salts are visited by FIGES and TUBITAK experts.
11. FIGES and TUBITAK representatives attended to the 4th Generation Advanced Reactors Forum (GIF) Symposium held in Paris on 16-18 October 2018. Inherently safe, having sustainable economic properties to be manufactured in different power sizes, its energy output can be used in different industries, the operating conditions being flexible and the sustainable fuel uranium-thorium procurement characteristics of Advanced Reactor systems emphasized once more. Following the symposium, between GIF board and TUBITAK officials, talks on Turkey’s membership in the GIF are carried out.
12. The International Thorium Energy Conference (IThEC-2018), held in different cities since 2010 by the International Thorium Energy Organization, is held in Brussels on 29-31 October 2018. FIGES decided to attend this year’s conference in terms of the topics of the conference and the collaboration of MSR developers and scientific researchers. As understood from the presentations and bilateral negotiations, the greatest advantage for a country like Turkey, which desires to complete the whole fuel cycle and to develop special alloys, to be a part of the club of “thorium fuel cycle-MSR” designers and developers’ will constitute a great advantage. (http://www.thoriumenergyworld.com/talks.html)
13. Presidency Chief Advisor, Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources [Deputy Undersecretary, Nuclear Energy Project Implementation Department (NEPUD)], TAEK (President, Nuclear Safety Department, Technology Department, Çekmece Nuclear Research and Training Center), Universities (Okan University, Gebze Technical University, Osmangazi University), TUBITAK-MAM, Eczacıbaşı-Monrol, etc. are visited at various times in 2016, 2017 and 2018. The nuclear technology studies, which are planned to be related to thorium-MSR technology, have been conveyed.